[Love is love]
Aya Kamikawa: Why she kicks ass
- She is the only openly transgender official in Japan at this point, and the first to seek or win elected office in Japan.
- She won a four-year term as an independent under huge media attention, placing sixth of 72 candidates running for 52 seats in the Setagaya ward assembly, the most populous district in Tokyo. In April 2007, she was re-elected to her second term, placing second of 71 candidates running for 52 in the same ward assembly.
- While the government announced that they would continue to consider her male officially, she stated that she would work as a woman.
- She is devoted to work for various groups, the disabled, single-parent families, homeless people to evening junior high school students, LGBT people and to improve rights for women, children, the elderly. She strives to give support for these people and bring positive changes which would help them in society.
- She was also a committee member for Trans-net Japan (a self-support group for transgender people) and organised meetings and social events to give support and symposiums to raise the public awareness.
01. Boy in the Boat—George Honnoh 02. Prove It On Me Blues—Ma Rainey 03. I Need A Little Sugar In My Bowl—Bessie Smith 04. You Can’t Tell The Difference After Dark—Alberta Hunter 05. Lay It On the Line—Gladys Bentley 06. Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out—Bessie Smith 07. Foolish Man Blues—Bessie Smith 08. B.D. Woman’s Blues—Bessie Jackson 09. (I Want To Go Where You Go, Do What You Do) Then I’ll Be Happy—Joséphine Baker 10. Am I Blue?—Ethel Waters 11. ‘Tain’t Nobody’s Bizness If I Do—Gladys Bentley 12. Worried Blues—Gladys Bentley 13. Gimme All the Love You Got—Alberta Hunter 14. Stormy Weather—Ethel Waters 15. I Want Every Bit of It—Bessie Smith 16. Hound Dog—Big Mama Thornton
‘Tain’t Nobody’s Business: songs by black women who slept with other women, dressed like men, and sang about it. Not every song on here is about women with women or men with men, but there’s a decent amount of queer blues songs out there. (Also, there is one male artist on here, but “boy in the boat” is the best euphemism for the clit and kaboodle that I’ve heard in a while, and any song that blames WWI for lesbianism because all these women were left by themselves needs to be included.)
Listen* | Download Link One | Download Link Two
*(minus tracks 03, 06, and 15 because 8tracks can’t handle my love of Bessie Smith)
A swedish university celebrating hbtq day (17 May)
Classy and cute typographical Mother’s Day cards for two-mom families. From here and here.
[The first person I came out to was Mickey Mouse. I was twelve. I quietly asked him if he would still love me if I liked girls. It took a moment but he nodded and held me very close for a photo. I still cry every time I look at it.]
A full length feature documentary exploring the queer side of gaming and LGBTQ presence in the game industry
YUS SO CLOSE
Ahhh this doc is going to be awesome. Thanks for sharing it around, guise~
Photos from Sabelo Mlangeni’s series ‘Country Girls’, an intimate portrait of gay life in the countryside of rural Mpumalanga, South Africa.
2003 - 2009.
things not to say to agender/neutrois people ( ` v `)/
- “can’t you just choose a gender?”
- “but what’s your REAL gender?”
- “can I pretend you’re a boy/girl so it’s easier?”
- “you can’t wear that/look like that, it’s too easy to guess what you really are”
- “you’ll confuse people, pick something else”
- “that’s a strange pronoun”
- “just stick to your old name, it’s nicer”
please be respectful and thank you \(` v ` )
Like us on Facebook;
follow us on Twitter!
This Tumblr is simply a replica of
givesmehope.com (with some added extras!) that is LGBTQ orientated.
Unlike GMH, however, ALL submissions are posted - not only the "best" ones! So to submit your LGBTQ givesmehope story/photo/video, please click here.
If you have any questions, please use the ask option here.
I'd also be very grateful if you could read some rules I have written to make sure your submission or ask post is suitable for this blog.
NEED ADVICE? Click here.